On February 3, 1909 Cochrane Town Council decided to organize a Fire Department for Cochrane, establishing Chief Hewett as the first Fire Chief of two 60-gallon chemical engines. In 1954, Council purchased its first modern fire truck and the first mechanized fire brigade was formed (a total of 11 personnel).
Fire prevention was a main objective in the early years of the Cochrane Fire Department and it continues to remain a high priority today. In June 1983, the Cochrane Ambulance Service was formed and two ambulances were purchased.
During the late '80s and '90s and up until 2010, the department worked within an integrated system offering both fire and emergency medical services. In 2010 governance of emergency medical services became the jurisdiction of the province (Alberta Health Services). The municipality now provides stand-alone fire services.