Assessment Complaints

Filing a Complaint

Assessment complaints may be filed by mail, email, in person at the RancheHouse, or by placing in the drop box at the RancheHouse. Payment may be made by cheque (payable to Town of Cochrane) or by credit card. Please contact the Assessment Review Board Clerk to arrange payment by credit card or for any questions.

If the Assessment Department is unable to explain or address your concern, you can file a formal complaint with the Assessment Review Board (ARB).

The Assessment Review Board Clerk must receive your written complaint no later than the date provided on the assessment notice.

What is an Assessment Review Board?

The Assessment Review Board is an independent, quasi-judicial board established in accordance with the Municipal Government Act and Town of Cochrane Assessment Review Board Bylaw 12/2009. It is an impartial tribunal that hears formal complaints against the assessment of properties, businesses and local improvements.

The board is made up of members of the public appointed by Town Council. Mandatory training must be completed prior to hearing an appeal. Refresher training is required every 3 years to maintain ARB certification. For more information, please visit Assessment Review Boards.

Contact the tax department about:

  • School support declaration
  • Name or mailing address of an assessed person

How do I file an assessment complaint?

Complaints must be made through the Assessment Review Board Complaint Form.

Complaints must include:

  • Why you believe the information shown on your assessment notice is incorrect.
  • What you believe the correct information should be. If you disagree with the assessed value, indicate what you believe the assessed value should be.
  • The filing fee as indicated on your notice.

An agent may file a complaint on your behalf if you complete an Agent Authorization Form and include it with your complaint.

Complaints with an incomplete complaint form, complaints without the required filing fee or complaints submitted after the filing deadline may result in an invalid appeal.

Complaint forms and filing fees may be dropped off at:

Town of Cochrane
101 RancheHouse Road
Cochrane, AB T4C 2K8
ATT: Clerk, Assessment Review Board


Filing fees for complaints are payable by cash, credit/debit or cheque  (make cheques payable to Town of Cochrane).

  • Residential 3 or fewer dwellings - $50 per complaint
  • Residential 4 or more dwellings - $600 per complaint
  • Non-residential - $600 per complaint

Note: Your filing fee will be refunded if the board makes a decision in your favour.

299/300 Request

Sections 299 and 300 of the Municipal Government Act provide property owners with the right to access information on how their property assessment was prepared, as well as access to a summary of an assessment for any property.

This information must be requested in writing directly to the Assessment Department. Requests can be emailed or mailed to the Assessors at the address listed to the right.

Use the form(s) below to make a formal request after you have spoken with an assessor. Use the assessment information request reference to help fill out the form(s).