Filing a Complaint

Before filing a complaint/appeal, please discuss your concerns with an Assessor. They may be able to correct the record or make an appointment to visit your property.

If the Assessment Department is unable to explain or address your concern, you can file a formal complaint with the Assessment Review Board (ARB).

The Assessment Review Board Clerk must receive your written complaint no later than the date provided on the assessment notice.

Contact the tax department about:

  • School support declaration
  • Name or mailing address of an assessed person

How do I file an assessment complaint?

Complaints must be made through the Assessment Review Board Complaint Form.

It must include:

  • Why you think the information or assessed value shown on your assessment notice is incorrect.
  • What you believe to be the correct information, if you disagree with the assessed value, indicate what you believe the assessed value should be.
  • The date and outcome of the discussion you had with an assessor and if you did not speak with one specify why.
  • The filing fee as indicated on your notice.
  • An agent may file a complaint on your behalf if you complete an Agent Authorization Form and include it with your complaint.

Complaints with an incomplete complaint form, complaints submitted after the filing deadline, or complaints without the required filing fee are invalid.

Complaint forms and filing fees may be dropped off at:

Town of Cochrane
Clerk of the Assessment Review Board
101 RancheHouse Road
Cochrane Alberta  T4C 2K8


Filing fees for complaints (make cheques payable to Town of Cochrane):

  • Residential 3 or fewer dwellings - $50 per complaint
  • Residential 4 or more dwellings - $600 per complaint
  • Non-Residential - $600 per complaint

Note: Your filing fee will be refunded if the board makes a decision in your favour.



Municipal Affairs - Guide to Filing a Property Assessment Complaint

What is an Assessment Review Board?

The Assessment Review Board is a one-to-three member board responsible for hearings and rulings on assessment complaints. The board ensures that the complainant (the taxpayer) and the assessor receive a fair and impartial hearing. The board hears evidence to determine if a property has been valued or classified correctly, or to determine if exemptions were properly applied.

Board members come from the local community and are appointed by Town Council and the Province. The Assessment Review Board is independent of the municipality and its assessors. Get more information on Assessment Review Boards online.

299/300 Request 

As a property owner you are entitled to access or receive sufficient information about your property and a summary of any assessment in accordance with sections 299 and 300 of the Municipal Government Act.

This information; must be requested in writing directly to the Assessment Department. Requests can be faxed, emailed or mailed to the Assessors at the address listed to the right.

Use the form(s) below to make a formal request after you have spoken with an assessor. Use the assessment information request reference to help fill out the forms(s).