Cochrane Society for Housing Options
CSHO Mission Statement:
The Cochrane Society for Housing Options provides access to a range of affordable housing in Cochrane and surrounding area.
Primary Focus of the Cochrane Society for Housing Options (CSHO):
The CSHO is a non-profit organization registered with the Province of Alberta that focuses on supporting low – moderate income Cochrane and area households to attain housing security.
Programs are available to any low – moderate income Cochrane and area household that may need it regardless of age, ethnic background, religious belief, etc. Priority is given to those who reside in Cochrane and the immediate surrounding western Rocky View County. Applicants must live or work in Cochrane and area for a minimum of 6 months. The selection process is based on need (i.e. who needs it most).
CSHO supports community members by providing:
- Residential Rental Housing. CSHO provides safe, suitable and affordable rental housing for low – moderate income households. Currently CSHO owns and operates 38 units under the Provincial Affordable Housing Program. Rents are set at a minimum of 10% below market value. Waitlist for units averages 40 applications per month. Vacancy rate is less than 1%.
- Education. CSHO partners with other agencies to provide free and/or affordable educational opportunities related to renting and owning homes. CSHO also participates in community events and provides presentations related to attainable housing upon request.
- Social Ventures. (a) Home Reno Heaven. CSHO owns and operates a non-profit business, Home Reno Heaven. This business accepts donations of useable building materials and home renovation items and re-sells them at affordable prices. Profits from this social venture will be directed to housing related services that enhance the quality of housing related program and services available to Cochrane and area residents. Landlords Please Note: Residential Rental lease forms are available for purchase at Home Reno Heaven. (b) Clothing Bins. CSHO has partnered with Alberta Community Clothing Collection on a new recycling textile option. Funds raised are invested in CSHO housing programs and services. They will accept most textile-based items including: clothing, bedding, shoes, purses etc. Items should be clean; wearable condition not required. More info see www.csho.ca Collection bins are located at the Lions Club Event Centre (old curling rink), SLS Family Sports Centre, Cochrane Arena, Town of Cochrane Fire Hall, Shell Gas Station (corner of Hiway 22 & 567 north of Town ) and Home Reno Heaven.
- Utilizing Local Volunteer Talent. A large part of CSHO’s success is due to the contributions of very knowledgeable, talented board members as well as skilled volunteer staffing for Home Reno Heaven. These community members provide hundreds of hours of professional advice and skilled service each year.
- Collaborating with Partners to Provide Complimentary Services. CSHO operates with very low overhead by partnering with other agencies to share space, administration, and the responsibilities associated with program delivery. CSHO focuses on providing services that enhance and complement existing programs and services instead of competing with other agencies and businesses.
- Leveraging Grant Funding Opportunities. CSHO is very grateful for the very generous financial and in-kind support accessed from Federal, Provincial, and Municipal Government, agencies, and businesses, to enable the organization in providing quality programs and services.
For more information, please contact us at:
Cochrane Society for Housing Options
Unit #1, 209 2nd Ave. W.
Cochrane, AB T4C 1B8
Cochrane Society for Housing Options Website
Home Reno Heaven Website
For Rental Housing Program:
Housing Resource Worker