Essential Needs Support
We believe that all community members have the right to food, shelter, transportation, and other basic needs. To that end, we have partnered with other organizations, funders and volunteers to provide the following:
Access to Food:
- Activettes Food Hamper Program website
- We provide intakes for the Food Bank.
- You must live in Cochrane or within the boundaries of Rocky View County
- You can access up to 5 hampers per year and one Christmas hamper
- Meals on Wheels: For individuals and families who would benefit from access to prepared frozen meals. Frozen Entrées offer choice and flexibility while providing meals that are heart healthy and diabetic friendly. Each meal is well balanced and includes a starch, protein, and vegetable. Meals cost $6.50 each and soup is $5.
- The CAR (Subsidized Taxi) Program: Provides taxi vouchers for use within Cochrane. The program supports residents to get to appointments, groceries, and other errands, as well as to programs and events. Eligibility criteria:
- Live with a lower income
- Health or mobility challenges that prevent you from driving
- No access to a vehicle or no license
- Limited or no access to friends or family who can provide transportation
Shelter/ Housing for people with lower incomes or with temporary shelter needs:
- Cochrane Society for Housing Options website
- offers an affordable housing program for those who qualify. See website for eligibility requirements.
- Housing Related Supports
- For individuals and families who are temporarily in need of shelter because of sudden loss of housing due to circumstances beyond their control;
- Or those struggling to find affordable housing who may not qualify for CSHO housing or are on a wait list,
- A Resource Worker will meet with you to better understand your needs and explore local or regional options with you.