Food & Essentials
Cochrane Activettes Food Bank
IMPORTANT FOOD BANK INFORMATION
The Cochrane Activettes Food Bank is operating while the COVID-19 response is underway. The program is adapted to meet the needs of the community during this time.
The Cochrane Activettes, Cochrane FCSS and Family Resource Network partner to ensure that no one in our community goes hungry.
- No financial proof of hardship required
- Eligibility for access is residency in Cochrane or West Rocky View County
- Regular Food Program pick up times are:
- *Tue - 12:45-1:45pm
- Wed - 3:45-4:45pm
- Thu - 5:15-6:30pm
- Note: No Tuesday hampers available right after a stat holiday
- Weekly ’drive by’ option for items they have excess of on Tuesdays 3:45-4:30pm. Bring your own bags for this. First come, first serve. Drive By Service WILL NOT be offered if temperatures reach -20 or colder during the winter months.
To request a food hamper:
- For families with children 0-18 years call the Family Resource Network at 403-851-2265.
Hours: 9am-12pm & 1-4pm, Mon-Fri.
- For individuals/families without children and older adults call the Cochrane FCSS at 403-851-2250.
Hours: 9am-4pm, Mon-Fri.
If you would like to help:
- Put your donations in the bins at the major grocery stores in Town
- These items are needed:
- dry pasta, rice, formula, diapers, peanut butter, oatmeal, pasta sauce, cereal
- Cash donations accepted as usual via Pay Pal through their website
- No volunteers needed at this time
Meals For Your Freezer – Cochrane FCSS & Helping Hands Society of Cochrane & Area
- Call 403-851-2250
- Intake: Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm
- Delivery: Tue (approximately 7 days later depending on intake)
- Printable version of the Order form
- PDF fillable version of the Order form
Cochrane Food Resources
- To learn more about the Cochrane and Area Food Connections group email email@example.com.
- University of Calgary Faculty of Nursing Projects:
- In September 2020, the University of Calgary, Faculty of Nursing began working with the Cochrane FCSS and a local food security committee called 'Cochrane and Area Food Connections'. The students, in partnership with the committee, developed a community wide food survey to learn more about the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats related to food systems and access in Cochrane. After analyzing the results and data from the survey a report was created and shared with the community. To further understand the community needs, extensive research and a series of key informant interviews were conducted. The students interviewed local health professionals, Town of Cochrane employees, staff and volunteers representing a variety of non-profit organizations and community members with a passion for food security. The most pressing need identified was a lack of awareness of all the amazing food related resources in Cochrane. In partnership with the committee, a food asset map for Cochrane was created. This tool can be adapted overtime as services and programs change.
- Click here to view the final report.
- Click here to view the food asset map.
Cochrane Good Food Box
- Available on Cochrane Good Food Box Facebook group
- Limited cost for produce. (stock varies)
- Contact your local grocery store to see what options they have available for extended hours or delivery services or check Shop Cochrane on Facebook.
Cochrane Community Gardens Society
The Calgary Legacy Community Association
- Website - Information on how to start your own garden