- You Are Here:
- Planning Services
- Common Applications
- Compliance Letters
As part of a real estate transaction, your lending agency may request a compliance certificate from the municipality to certify that the property meets applicable conditions and bylaws.
Due to high application volume we are currently quoting 7-10 business day turnaround
Please be advised of the following changes to the Compliance Letter review process:
- The Town of Cochrane will request that an Encroachment Agreement be entered into when required. Encroachment applications will not be accepted at this time.
- The Town of Cochrane will no longer re-issue a compliance letter once the issue causing the initial non-compliance has been addressed. In such cases, the applicant must re-apply to obtain a compliance letter from the Town.
- The Town of Cochrane will only respond to inquiries from the applicant.
Compliance verification includes:
- Review of the regulations in Cochrane's Land Use Bylaw for various types of improvements on the land (i.e. house, deck, garage etc.), including setbacks
- Review of encroachments into easements, rights-of-way and municipal properties (i.e. roads, lanes and parks, etc.)
- Ensuring applicable development permits were issued for structures on-site (eg. house, garage)
Verification does not include:
- Review of fences, walls or any other encroachments between private property owners
- Completion of building permit requirements under the Alberta Building Code
Thinking about requesting a compliance letter?
Step 1: Fill out a Letter of Compliance Application
Step 2: Submit your application form by email to email@example.com with the following:
- Original PDF of the Real Property Report (no more than 365 days old and unsecured; copies, photos or scans will not be accepted)
- encroachment agreement (if applicable)
- the appropriate fee
- acceptable methods of payment are: in-person by debit, cheque, Visa or Mastercard OR over the phone by Visa or Mastercard (we will call you to collect when application received) .
What happens next?
If we require clarification or a revised RPR, we will contact you and/or the surveyor.
Once we conclude our review we will email the applicant the results.