Volunteers are people from all walks of life, all ages and stages. What they have in common is the desire to make a difference in their community, and in their own life, by giving their time and expertise.
Check our list of local volunteer opportunities and organizations that love volunteers.
Considerations Before Volunteering
- What are my interests?
- If money was not an issue, what would I do with my time?
- What skills do I have to offer?
- What kind of commitment do I want to make?
- What will fit with my lifestyle and availability?
- Do I support the values and mission of the organization I'm thinking of volunteering with?
Volunteers are essential to our way of life and have a positive impact on the way our communities develop and operate. You'll also have:
- Opportunities to meet new people and become familiar with the community.
- Satisfaction that comes when providing service.
- More excitement in your life.
- Opportunities for continuous learning and personal growth.
- Career development, items for your resume, new job skills.
- Increased self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Opportunities to help solve local issues and become a leader in your community.
- A chance to give back and make our community a better place to live.
- New challenges, skills and experiences.
- Lots of fun!
Volunteer Cochrane is one of 200 volunteer centers in Canada that offer services dedicated to supporting volunteers and the non-profit organizations that engage volunteers in their community. Volunteer Cochrane hosts a variety of events and programs to promote volunteerism, to raise awareness of the value of volunteering and to celebrate the contributions of volunteers.
- Alberta Cancer Foundation
- Alberta Health Services (Banff / Canmore / Cochrane)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Calgary and Area
- Boys and Girls Club Of Cochrane and Area
- Cochrane Activettes
- Cochrane and Area Events Society
- Cochrane and Area Humane Society
- Cochrane and District Chamber of Commerce
- Cochrane Curling Club
- Cochrane Ecological Institute (CEI)
- Cochrane Public Library
- Cochrane Society for Housing Options
- Cochrane Valley Folk Club
- Cochrane Tourism Association
- Home Reno Heaven
- Rocky View Schools Community Learning
- Seniors For Kids Society
- Town of Cochrane
- Universal Rehabilitation Service Agency (URSA)