Common Applications

Planning staff handle  a wide variety of applications related to development in Cochrane. If you're planning a project, discuss your proposal with Planning staff as soon as possible. We can provide early guidance, describe the process and ensure you are headed in the right direction: 
  • Email 
  • Ph: 403-851-2570
There are fees associated with most Planning processes. Check the fee schedule.

Accessory Suites

Accessory suites are self-contained dwellings, usually located within an existing building on a residential lot. To help provide housing options in Cochrane, the Town allows accessory suites as a discretionary use in certain residential districts. Accessory suites are approved on a first-come, first-served basis to a maximum of 10% of lots in a neighbourhood.

Building Permits and Inspections 

We inspect and approve design and construction for building, electrical, gas and plumbing work to ensure it complies with all relevant acts and bylaws. Building permits grant legal permission to begin construction of a building project.

Community Enhancement Evaluation

The Community Enhancement Evaluation is an tool for developers to identify community characteristics that Council wishes to see in future developments. The evaluation also provides both Council and the public access to development proposals earlier in the application process.

Compliance Certificate 

As part of a real estate transaction, your lending agency may request proof that the property meets applicable conditions and bylaws. Requests with no complications can be completed in about a week. 

Day Homes

Day homes are childcare businesses operating within a home. Cochrane's Land Use Bylaw allows day homes provided they meet all the requirements.  

Development Permits 

Any structure constructed in Cochrane needs an approved development permit before work can start. Applications must include detailed information about the building and its connections to Town services and utilities.

Development Map

Wondering if there are approved development applications in your neighbourhood? Or if there's an approved application in that vacant lot you pass every day?

Home-Based Businesses 

A home-based business is when one of the permanent residents in a dwelling unit conducts a gainful occupation or business activity in the dwelling. The Land Use Bylaw allows home-based businesses provided they meet all the requirements.  

Mobile Food Vendors

Cochrane loves food trucks! Food truck operators need a Town business licence to operate.

Real Property Report

Need a real property report (RPR)?


Signs are a great way to get your information out to the community. Signs in Cochrane are guided by specific regulations.

Statutory Plan Amendments  

Cochrane’s statutory plans guide planning and development in Town. Amendments become necessary if a proposed development does not fit planning policies contained in them. 

Subdivision Applications

Subdivision is when a property owner divides a parcel of land into several smaller lots or combines two or more lots into one larger parcel.