- be rolled out by 7am;
- have 1 metre perimeter of space around each;
- have the lid closed; and
- have the wheels of the cart on the curb (front of the house) or wheels of the cart on the edge of the alley; and
- be free of contamination (items in the wrong cart or not prepared properly).
If your cart met all requirements but was not collected please call us at 403-851-2277 with your name, address, phone number and colour of cart missed. We will call you back by the next business day.
Blue cart spot check tag
Receiving this tag on your blue cart means there was something in the recycling cart that shouldn't be or something wasn't prepared properly. Check your tag for specific details. If your cart received a tag and was was still emptied, it means the contamination was minimal and we trust the household to correct it moving forward. If the cart was tagged and not collected, it means the contamination was sufficient enough to jeopardize the quality of the truck load and needs to be corrected before the cart is tipped on the next scheduled collection day. Leaving the tag tied to the cart allows the spot checkers to communicate with the occupants in a safe, educational way.
Red Oops! tag
If the cart received a red Oops! tag, it will not be collected this week. Please repackage your cart contents according to the tag’s instructions and place it out for collection on the next scheduled collection day. If excess recycling/organics becomes an issue, the Eco Centre will accept these streams.
If you have excess waste you have 3 options:
1. Purchase Town of Cochrane excess waste bags, put your waste in the bags and place it 1 metre away from your waste cart on your collection day. Bags can be purchased at the Cochrane RancheHouse or at the Cochrane Eco Centre during regular operational hours for $3 each.
2. The Cochrane Eco Centre (50 Griffin Industrial Point) accepts clear bagged household waste for $3/bag. All recycling and organics must be removed prior to disposal.
3. If you have excess waste on a regular basis you can make arrangements for an additional waste cart; a set up fee and an additional monthly charge will apply. Please call the Waste and Recycling Hotline at 403-851-2277 for details.
Cul-de-sac Collection tag
Cart wheels must be against the curb, with a one-metre perimeter of space around each cart with the lid closed to be collected. To safely collect carts, parallel parking in cul-de-sacs is required. Carts blocked by vehicles will not be collected and residents will have to wait until their next scheduled collection day. If parking on your street or alley prevents collection please call Municipal Enforcement at 403-851-2532 to report parking infractions.
Last Updated: October 1, 2020