Can I build a retaining wall on my property?

Yes, you may be able to, but please note:

  • You must maintain the approved grading and drainage of the lot.
  • You may not alter the grading of the lot in a manner that allows surface drainage onto a neighbouring property.
  • You must maintain positive drainage away from the dwelling.

It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure that the wall or structure is entirely located outside of any utility right-of-ways or easements that may be registered on the property.

If the retaining structure is greater than 1m high, the wall must be engineered. Please note: the height of the structure is considered to be the height from its base, not the exposed height above ground.

The design of the wall must be completed by a professional structural and/or geotechnical engineer and submitted to the Town of Cochrane Civil Land Development for approval prior to the start of construction.

Show All Answers

1. Can I build a retaining wall on my property?
2. What is a lot grading certificate?
3. When is the Town responsible for infrastructure?
4. Where can I get a permit application?