Highway 1A Improvements
The Highway 1A improvements Project is a long-awaited upgrade to the Highway 1A corridor through Cochrane from east of Centre Avenue to west of Fifth Avenue. The project includes:
- new access, parking and turning lanes for Sixth Ave W businesses
Highway 1A corridor through Cochrane from east of Centre Avenue to west of Fifth Avenue
Oct 26: In coming weeks, motorists can anticipate:
- Hwy 1A: 2 eastbound lanes heading up the hill
- Hwy 1A: 2 westbound to southbound left turn lanes onto Centre Ave
- Hwy 1A: 1 westbound through lane
- Centre Avenue: 2 northbound lanes and 2 southbound lanes between Hwy 1A and 2nd St
Work is also underway on a new sidewalk, which will improve pedestrian mobility. The sidewalk (identified in green) will start at 2nd Ave east to HWY 1A to Centre Ave and south along Centre Ave to the Sheridan Mall.
The relocation of both municipal and franchise utilities is nearing completion. The location of the utilities at HWY 1A and Centre Ave has impacted our ability to complete the new connection to 3rd St and the second westbound through lane on Hwy 1A. This work will be completed in the 2022 construction season. During this time, motorists will have access to 3rd St via previous access from 3rd Ave.
Sep 29: Paving on HWY 1A from the east end of the project to Centre Ave is scheduled to begin later this week, weather permitting. This aerial video provides a bird’s eye view of the preparation work currently underway. Watch video here
Sep 23: As part of the HWY 1A improvements, we are making changes to the traffic flow on Mountain Street. Starting Wednesday, Sep 29 traffic will no longer be able to travel westbound on Mountain St to access Centre Avenue.
The west end of Mountain St will be modified to include a cul-de-sac. Access to Centre Avenue can still be made using William Street.
Sep 9-11: Centre Avenue will be closed overnight to southbound traffic between HWY 1A and Second Street/Powel Street for installation of new utility crossings.
- Sep 2: HWY 1A update Left turn lane added
Motorists travelling west on HWY 1A may notice improved traffic flow. A left turn bay was added on HWY 1A to allow west bound traffic to turn south onto Centre Avenue.
- Sept 3: Starting at 8am, southbound traffic will be detoured down First Ave to First St W.
- Sept 6-9: Centre Avenue will be closed overnight to southbound traffic between HWY 1A and Second Street/Powel Street for installation of new utility crossings.
- Aug 27: The shallow utility work required for the Hwy 1A improvement project will take place this week initiating one evening road closure on Hwy 1A from Centre Ave to 4th Ave on Fri, Aug 27 at 9pm - Sat morning at 7am.
- Aug 23: Starting Aug 24, water main replacement will commence along the east side of Centre Avenue from Hwy 1A through to Powel Street.
The work will require the closure of the righthand, south bound lane for the next week. Following completion of the water main work, both southbound lanes will be detoured onto First Avenue West though to First Street West to facilitate storm water upgrades – more details to follow. During this phase of construction, alternate routes, such as Fourth Avenue West or Fifth Avenue West should be considered to access the Quarry and other shopping areas in the downtown.
- Aug 2: Work starts on Centre Ave early this week. This includes detouring southbound traffic on Centre Avenue onto First Avenue West and then onto First Street West back to Centre Avenue. Motorists should anticipate traffic delays and are asked to reduce speeds and use extra caution.
- Jul 23: Construction of deep utility crossings beneath the highway were successfully completed during overnight shifts and the nightly detour though downtown is no longer in effect. The next step in the project is to prepare for the utility upgrades beneath Centre Ave between HWY 1A and Powel St. In coming weeks, this will include a new detour for southbound traffic on Centre Ave. Further details will be shared prior to the detour being initiated. Plans are underway to demolish the old KFC building located at the corner of HWY 1A and Centre Ave.
- Jul 16: The deep utility replacement work (water, sanitary and storm) required for the Hwy 1A improvement project will take place this week initiating four temporary evening road closures on Hwy 1A from Centre Ave to 4th Ave.
- Jul 10: Motorists should anticipate traffic delays in the area as construction starts on the north shoulder of the highway. The highway will be reduced to 2 lanes through the work area. This will be in place until construction wraps up in the late fall.
- Jun 22: Work on the HWY 1A improvement project starts: Parking lot at the corner of Centre Ave and HWY 1A will be closed, as well as First Ave between Centre Ave and 2nd St. Construction fencing will be installed, please follow construction signage.
- Watch the flyover video to see what it looks like!
- Construction begins: June 22
- Estimated completion: Fall 2022
Widening highway 1A has long been a priority for both the Province and Town of Cochrane and is an important piece of Cochrane’s Traffic Plan. This project was approved in the fall of 2020, as Council recognized an opportunity to utilize Provincial grant funding to support these roadway improvements.
When complete, it will provide a much-needed improvement to the highway corridor that is experiencing heavy congestion for both local and regional users. The project will also include additional pathways and crosswalks, ensuring a safer experience for vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists.
How is this project funded?
HOW WILL THIS PROJECT BENEFIT THE COMMUNITY?
Traffic on the hill and along Highway 1A continues to challenge our community. When complete, this work paves the way for streamlined traffic flow along Highway 1A and through the Highway 1A/22 interchange.
This project supports Council's strategic priority of community connectivity, and specifically, advocating for Highway 1A improvements within the Town boundaries, including Centre Avenue and 5th Avenue intersections.