Highway 1A Improvements
The Highway 1A improvements Project is a long-awaited upgrade to the Highway 1A corridor through Cochrane from east of Centre Avenue to west of Fifth Avenue. The project includes:
- new access, parking and turning lanes for Sixth Ave W businesses
Highway 1A corridor through Cochrane from east of Centre Avenue to west of Fifth Avenue
- Jul 23: Construction of deep utility crossings beneath the highway were successfully completed during overnight shifts and the nightly detour though downtown is no longer in effect. The next step in the project is to prepare for the utility upgrades beneath Centre Ave between HWY 1A and Powel St. In coming weeks, this will include a new detour for southbound traffic on Centre Ave. Further details will be shared prior to the detour being initiated. Plans are underway to demolish the old KFC building located at the corner of HWY 1A and Centre Ave.
- Jul 16: The deep utility replacement work (water, sanitary and storm) required for the Hwy 1A improvement project will take place this week initiating four temporary evening road closures on Hwy 1A from Centre Ave to 4th Ave.
- Jul 10: Motorists should anticipate traffic delays in the area as construction starts on the north shoulder of the highway. The highway will be reduced to 2 lanes through the work area. This will be in place until construction wraps up in the late fall.
- Jun 22: Work on the HWY 1A improvement project starts: Parking lot at the corner of Centre Ave and HWY 1A will be closed, as well as First Ave between Centre Ave and 2nd St. Construction fencing will be installed, please follow construction signage.
- Watch the flyover video to see what it looks like!
- Construction begins: June 22
- Estimated completion: Fall 2022
Widening highway 1A has long been a priority for both the Province and Town of Cochrane and is an important piece of Cochrane’s Traffic Plan. This project was approved in the fall of 2020, as Council recognized an opportunity to utilize Provincial grant funding to support these roadway improvements.
When complete, it will provide a much-needed improvement to the highway corridor that is experiencing heavy congestion for both local and regional users. The project will also include additional pathways and crosswalks, ensuring a safer experience for vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists.
How is this project funded?
HOW WILL THIS PROJECT BENEFIT THE COMMUNITY?
Traffic on the hill and along Highway 1A continues to challenge our community. When complete, this work paves the way for streamlined traffic flow along Highway 1A and through the Highway 1A/22 interchange.
This project supports Council's strategic priority of community connectivity, and specifically, advocating for Highway 1A improvements within the Town boundaries, including Centre Avenue and 5th Avenue intersections.
Updated on July 23, 2021