Cochrane's Municipal Enforcement commits to the safety of all residents and visitors who use our roads, sidewalks and pathways.
Community Peace Officers enforce the Traffic Safety Act and other provincial traffic regulations, prioritizing school and playground zones, high-complaint areas, and high-infraction areas. Officers work with the RCMP on the Selective Traffic Enforcement Program (STEP), which improves public safety and patrol highways 1A and 22 within Cochrane limits.
- Obey traffic signs
- Stop for pedestrians
- Stop for school buses
- Use seat belts
- Maintain the speed limit
- Do not drive distracted
- Do not make U-turns
- Do not drive or park left of centre
- Do not make left turns from RancheHouse Rd to Hwy 22
- Cochrane has a speed limit of 50 km/hour unless otherwise posted
- Residential area speed reduces to 30 km/hour
- School zone's speed is 30 km/hour between the hours of 7am-9pm on school days
- Alleyways speed reduces to 20 km/hour
School bus safety
- When amber lights are flashing, slow down and proceed with caution
- When red lights are flashing and the stop sign is out, you must come to a complete stop until the lights stop flashing
- Give pedestrians the right of way on pathways at all times
- Slow down and give plenty of audible warning when passing (bells, horns)
- Obey the speed limit: 20 km/hr
- Ride in single file
RV & trailer parking
You can park your RV or trailer on your driveway from May 1-October 31. After October 31, all RVs and all types of trailers must be removed. A resident in violation of this bylaw will receive a fine of at least $250.