Change of Tenancy

To make sure that a proposed business and location complies with the Land Use Bylaw, we follow a Change of Tenancy application process. This process also helps us maintain a record of the current permitted activities on a property. 

Change of Tenancy application

A Change of Tenancy application is required when: 

  • The proposed business type is a permitted use within the relevant land use district. 
  • There is no increase in the building’s or unit’s total floor area.
  • A Development Permit was previously issued for a Home Occupation Class 2, but a new business type is proposed that meets all the previous approval conditions.

You may not need a Development Permit if:

  • You are a business owner looking to relocate or change the type of business conducted in a commercial or industrial building or bay.
  • You are a residential property owner.

You will need to submit a Change of Tenancy application before you can receive a Building Permit for renovations or obtain your Business Licence.

Change of Tenancy process

To begin the Change of Tenancy process, please consult with Planning Services staff as early as possible. We can discuss your proposed location and business type, offer initial guidance and explain the process. You may then complete the Change of Tenancy application form and email it and all relevant documents to Relevant documents may include sign information, floor plans or a site plan. 

Once the application is received, Planning Services will look at: 

  • the zoning of the property and its current and proposed uses 
  • any proposed renovations 
  • signage 
  • existing Development Permits (for residential properties) 
  • any other permits required by the Land Use Bylaw 

The application process takes a minimum of 10 days. We will share the application with affected departments for review and comments. We will reach out to you for clarification if needed. Once we complete our review, we will email you with results and next steps.