Seasonal maintenance and clean up in all cemeteries is done each Spring (April) and Fall (August) by Town staff. All non-compliant items are removed and placed for pick-up on the shelf at the entrance of the Cochrane Cemetery for a period of one month.
Non-compliant items include plants, flowers, ground cover, rock, mulch, borders, fences, pictures, ornaments, flower holders or vases, pots, jars, bottles, crosses, wreathes, upright decorations and more. Please check the Cemetery bylaw for details.
Markers with permanent vases are permitted to have fresh or silk flowers.
In Ground Burial Plots
The Town of Cochrane offers both casket and cremation burials
The Town of Cochrane offers double depth burial plots. These allow for the following configurations:
- two casket burials; first interment at the lower level, second interment at the upper level.
- a single casket burial at the lower level (must be first interment) and up to 6 cremations in the upper level
- upper level only for a single casket OR up to 6 cremations. (no cremations are permitted on top of an upper level burial.
- one monument is permitted on this plot.
- plot is designated at the time of need, there is no choice of location
The Town of Cochrane offers an in ground cremation section in Block 1. These plots allow for:
- two standard sized urns or
- one companion urn.
- One flat marker is permitted on this plot.
- Plot is designated at the time of need, there is no choice of location.
A minimum of 72 hours notice is required before the scheduled burial service is to take place.
Interments are scheduled between:
- 8:30am and 3:30pm Monday to Friday (regular rates apply) May 1 - Oct 31
- after 3:30pm Monday to Friday and between 8:30am - 3:30pm Saturdays (overtime fees apply) May 1 - Oct 31
- 8:30am - 2:30pm Monday to Friday (regular fees apply) Nov 1 - April 30
- No interments are scheduled on Saturdays Nov 1 - April 30
- No interments are scheduled on Sundays or Statutory Holidays January 1- December 31
St. Mary's and St. Andrews Cemeteries are closed to new in ground plot purchases
St. Andrews Cemetery contains two Columbaria where the purchase of a specified Niche is permitted
The Town of Cochrane cannot be held liable for any damages or loss resulting from theft or vandalism to monuments, vases, flowers or wreaths. For additional information on burial options and approved monuments, please contact Cemetery Services.
Cemetery Master Plan
Cochrane Town Council approved the Cemetery Master Plan in 2016 with goals of:
- creating strategies to improve the layout and operation of the Cochrane Cemetery
- implementing current best practices and trends
- enhancing the range of interment options