Cochrane Quick Start

To make your move to Cochrane as smooth as possible, we’ve compiled information on four practical things you should know beforehand. You can also print the quick-start card with all the same information. 

Utility accounts

In Cochrane, your utility invoice will include amounts for: 

  • water consumption
  • sewer consumption
  • Eco Centre fees
  • water, recycling and organics collection
  • storm sewer fees 

If you are new to Cochrane, you’ll need to set up a new utility account. If you are moving from within Cochrane, you’ll need to update your existing account. 

Create or update your utility account

Once you have created and set up your utility account, we’ll deliver a waste, recycling and organics can. We’ll also ensure water service is turned on when you move in. 

Invoices are emailed at the start of each month. Payment instructions are included on your invoice. You can also sign up for pre-authorized payments to ensure you never miss a payment deadline.

Email Utilities or call 403-851-2521 or 403-851-2523 if you need help setting up or changing your utility account.


We recommend you review property tax information, including current rates and the annual tax cycle, before your move to Cochrane. 

Taxes & Assessments

If you're interested in paying monthly, consider registering for a Tax Instalment Payment Plan

For more information, email Taxes or call 403-851-2288 or 403-851-2522.

Pet licences

If you’re moving with a dog or cat, you will need to get them a current Town of Cochrane licence. All dogs and cats over three months must have a licence. 

Pet Licences

Email Animal Services or call 403-851-2528 for help obtaining a pet licence.

Business licences 

Are you moving your business to Cochrane too? If so, you must have a valid Town of Cochrane Business Licence. Find out how to get one by emailing Business Licences or calling 403-851-2573.

You can also visit the Business Licences page of our website:

Business Licences