Under Cochrane’s Animal Bylaw, both dogs and cats in Cochrane must be licensed. Cats must remain on their owner's property and may not roam freely. Dogs must always be under their owner's control when off their property, and must be on leash except in designated off-leash areas. See our Pet Licences page for more information.
Finding a lost pet
Has your pet gone missing? Don't panic! Animal Services officers will impound pets that are found running at large. If the animal is wearing identification, officers will attempt to take them home. Officers will take the animal to the animal shelter if:
- the animal does not have a current licence
- the owner information in our system is not up-to-date
- there is no one over 18 years of age at home to accept the animal
Upon your pet's arrival at the shelter, Animal Services will check for a tattoo, a microchip, and overall health. If the animal has a tattoo or other identification, and the name and address of the owner are known, they are held for 10 days. Animals that are not picked up within 10 days are turned over to the Cochrane and Area Humane Society.
To find out if your pet is at the shelter, call 403-851-2532. They will help you arrange an appointment to view impounded animals.
If your pet is not at the shelter, try the following:
- Double-check with members of your household to ensure that no one has your pet, or knows where your pet is.
- Do a thorough search of your home: if you have lost a cat or small dog, look carefully through closets and hampers, behind furniture and any other small space your pet could be hiding in.
- Enlist the help of friends and family to search the neighbourhood. Ask them to carry cell phones so they can contact you when they find your pet.
- Contact neighbours, local vet clinics and other animal shelters to ask if they have seen your pet.
- If necessary, make posters with your pet’s picture to put up around your neighbourhood.
If you’ve lost your pet but don’t live in Cochrane, contact your County or Municipal District:
- Rocky View County: 403-230-1401
- MD of Bighorn: 403-233-7678
- MD of Foothills: 403-652-2341
You can also contact the Cochrane and Area Humane Society at 403-932-2072 to see if your pet has been brought in.