This project includes the twinning of the existing wastewater line (syphon) to support the needs of West Cochrane, to accommodate future growth and reduce operational concerns of the existing syphon. This project is required due to growth, thus it is funded 100% from off-site levy-funded debt.
- Feb 8, 2024: Crews are back with additional drilling work under HWY 22. This work will take place in the daytime, and no closures are expected.
- Nov 9, 2023: On October 21, both the sanitary and water mains were struck, causing discharge of water and sewer into the Bow River. Since that time, Cochrane Administration, the municipal consultant and the contractor have repaired the line breaks, implemented temporary bypass lines, and worked to ensure the continued delivery of water / wastewater service to our entire community. The investigation into the water / wastewater incident is ongoing, and Administration brought an update to the November 20 Council meeting.
The Cochrane West sanitary syphon is a major piece of infrastructure that conveys wastewater from all development west of Highway 22. Recent flow testing indicates that the capacity of the syphon has been severely reduced since its implementation in the mid-90s. The configuration of a sanitary syphon makes for difficult access for cleaning and system maintenance purposes.
General Construction Impacts
- Pedestrian Pathway Detours: To ensure the safety of the public, pedestrian pathway detours will be provided when necessary due to pathway closures.
- Partial Parking Lot Closures: Some parking lot closures will be required to allocate space for contractor staging and storage areas.
- Disc Golf Course: Partial closures or limitations will be in effect at the Disc Golf course to maintain a safe buffer between players and construction activities.
How does this project benefit the community?
Cochrane continues to prioritize and invest in our infrastructure, ensuring intergenerational equity and planning for the future needs of our growing community.
This project supports Council 2022-2025 Strategic Goals of livability and vibrant economy, and will build financial and environmental stewardship and the built environment.