The next municipal election will be held Monday, October 18, 2021.
Thinking of running?
Nominations for candidates will be accepted beginning January 1, 2021.
Candidates who seek nomination for Mayor or Council are required to submit the following:
- Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance (Form 4)
- Candidate Information (Form 5)
- Candidate/Official Agent Communications Consent
In order for your nomination papers to be accepted, all candidates must have the signatures of a minimum of five eligible electors. These electors must be residents of the Town of Cochrane on the date they sign the form and eligible to vote in the election. Those persons living outside the voting boundary of the Town of Cochrane cannot act as a signatory on this form.
Nomination papers must be completed in full and have sworn the Candidate’s Acceptance section before a Commissioner for Oaths. If you require the services of a Commissioner for Oaths, you are required to make an appointment by calling 403-851-2500.
Submitting Nomination Papers
There are three options for submitting your nomination papers which are to include all completed forms, fully commissioned:
- By mail or courier
Send completed forms by regular or registered mail, or courier, to:
Town of Cochrane, Returning Officer
101 RancheHouse Rd Cochrane, AB T4C 2K8
- By secure 24-hour drop box
Completed forms can be dropped off in the RancheHouse secure drop box.
- In person
Nomination papers will be accepted at the Cochrane RancheHouse during regular business hours from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday.
- A Candidate's Guide: Running For Municipal Office in Alberta
- Municipal Election Bylaw 14/2017
- Municipal Affairs Election website
Town of Cochrane information:
- How We Grow (an overview of how the Town connects residents and neighbourhoods, and how the planning process works)
- Report to Community
For more information about Cochrane’s municipal election process, please contact:
Manager, Legislative Services / Returning Officer
General Manager, Legislative & Protective Services