Long-term planning by Council and Administration is an ongoing process. Strategic Plans are reviewed and updated annually, as are the Ten-Year Financial Plan and capital projects list. Town Budgets are developed between May and October each year, with Council deliberations and approval scheduled at the end of the year.
Long-term plans that guide the development of specific areas of Town or that establish rules for specific activities are developed and approved as required or legislated. These processes sometimes require years of advance planning before the impact is evident in our community. For instance, it may feel as if Sunset Ridge is a fairly new community, but the first Area Structure Plan was received by Council in 2005.
- Cochrane Sustainability Plan (2009)
- Connecting Cochrane (Transportation Master Plan)
- Integrated Neighbourhood Design Guidelines (2013)
- Intermunicipal Development Plan with Rocky View (2001)
- Open Spaces Master Plan (OSMP) (2012)
- Recreation Master Plan (2008)
- Renewable Energy Framework (2013)
Town-wide planning documents
- Find out how the Town of Cochrane connects residents and neighbourhoods, and how everyone can stay connected to the planning process in How We Grow (2017)
- There is astrict hierarchy to planning documents for the Town, with an increasing level of detail at each step.
- Heritage Guidelines(2000)
- Land Use Bylaw (LUB)
- Municipal Development Plan (MDP)(2008)
To find planning documents for a specific neighbourhood or area of Cochrane, check our Neighbourhoods page.