the station at cochrane crossing
This 7,700 sq. ft. building will include:
- Transit hub
- Municipal office space
- Public washrooms
- Access to Town services
When complete, this project will:
- Deliver upon the Tri-Site Advisory recommendations.
- Provide a key connection between historic downtown and the Quarry.
- Allow for the future development of a platform for regional train service.
- Provide Town services within the core of our community.
- Provide a new plaza and green space.
The Station will be located on the former Esso Bulk Station site, directly across from the Cochrane Public Library.
- Nov 2021: Provincial site phase 1 complete. Building construction in progress, with electrical and plumbing work complete. Bus platforms and curbs poured. Electrical work on Railway Street is complete, with overhead lines moved underground.
- Oct 2021: Project Update Video
- Sept 2021: Project Update Video
- Release: Site Remediation Underway at Cochrane Crossing
- Release: Construction set to start on Cochrane's capital projects
- Mayor Genung provides an update on the project watch here!
- Construction to begin in Spring 2021
- Estimated Completion: Fall 2022
On October 26, 2020 Council directed Administration to proceed with the design of a single-story facility on the east side of the Transit Hub Site (formerly known as the "Old Esso Bulk Station"). The project also includes a downtown pedestrian crossing project. Design and construction of the crossing and the Station are being completed at the same time to improve efficiency and ensure consistency of design.
Total project budget: $8M
HOW WILL THIS PROJECT BENEFIT THE COMMUNITY?
- Site will seamlessly integrate with the at-grade CP rail crossing and offer a central park-like gathering space for the community while supporting the local and regional transit system, local taxi network, bicyclists and pedestrian traffic.
- Building will provide a transit waiting amenity as the Station will be home to the Cochrane Information Center, Business Development and its community partners, Town administrative services and a co-working space/business start-up program.
- Parking to support the facility and transit system was constructed as part of the Railway Street improvement project in 2020 and is located on the south side of Railway street beside the library.
This project that supports local tourism, promotes economic development and ensures efficient delivery of transit and Town Administrative services - all of which will ensure Cochrane remains a community of choice.
This building and pedestrian crossing are important components of Council’s vision for the future of Cochrane: it demonstrates the Town’s commitment to community connectivity and business development, it builds on the public engagement of the Tri-Site project, provides a hub for COLT activity, and adds a new public space to Cochrane’s downtown core.