ECO CENTRE OPEN Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat 9am-5pm, closed statutory holidays
with MODIFIED PROGRAMS
- please sort your waste before you arrive to make drop off quicker
- only five vehicles allowed in the yard at a time (traffic controlled at the gate)
- only one person per vehicle (wearing gloves) allowed to handle material
- staff are not available to assist
- Eco Centre open to residents of Cochrane, Rocky View & MD Bighorn only.
- Cardboard, newspaper, newsprint, mixed paper
- Mixed rigid plastic containers
- Beverage containers
- Food waste
- Mixed metal
- Branches, grass clippings, leaves
- E-Waste (small appliances and electronics like toasters, coffee makers, hair dyers, stereos, tv’s, computers)
- Used oil, oil filters, anti-freeze liquid
- Propane tanks
- Textile/clothing donation
- Household Hazardous Waste
Programs temporarily suspended:
- Book room (including batteries, light bulbs, etc.)
- Large appliances (fridges, washers, dryers, microwaves, etc.)
- Plastic film
- Bike exchange
If you need additional waste capacity, call the Hotline at 403-851-2277 to order another black cart. For this period, the $45/cart delivery fee will be waived ($14/month service fee will still apply).
We want to thank you for your patience and understanding during this challenging time.
Cochrane Eco Centre is a self-sorting facility located at 50 Griffin Industrial Point. Attendants are on-site at all times and reserve the right to refuse material due to site capacity restrictions. Our Health and Safety policy restricts scavenging in the yard.
For information on applicable costs, please go to Rate & Fees.
Year Round programs
Book Room- currently closed
- Miscellaneous - cell phones, eyeglasses, pop can tabs rechargeable & alkaline household batteries, fluorescent tubes, CFLs (please handle all bulbs with mercury carefully). More than 4 tubes=charge of $0.30/ft.
- Book exchange - trade your old but readable books for new ones.
Main Building - OPEN
- Newspaper & newsprint
- Mixed paper - coloured paper, wrapping paper, brown paper, envelopes (except bubble), junk mail, magazines, phone books, office paper, shredded paper (loose in the mix paper bin).
- Plastic bags & film (currently closed) - plastic wrap, plastic film, re-sealable bags, grocery bags
- Mixed plastics - plastic jugs & bottles, tubs, pails & clamshell containers, car seats, booster seats
- Beverage containers - Pop, beer, water, wine & juice bottles, milk and juice cartons and tetra packs
Side Yard - OPEN
- Food Waste Composting - Bring food waste to the Cochrane Eco Centre where it will be turned into high quality garden and landscape compost. Please bring your food waste in a sealed bucket or certified compostable bag and empty into the designated bin.
- Oil waste - used motor oil & transmission fluid up to 40L/week/household
- Paint Drop-off - cans and aerosols accepted up to 20L/week/household
- Hazardous Waste - please ensure your chemicals are clearly labelled, sealed and if possible in original containers. This includes all household chemicals, solids, liquids & tanks.
Anything with a symbol like this, we will accept, up to 5L/week/household
Back of Main Building
- Glass & jars - food bottles & jars. No ceramics, pottery, mirrors, light bulbs or windshields.
- E-Waste - monitors, laptops, printers, faxes, cables, mice, keyboards, TV’s....anything with an electrical cord
- Clothing & Textiles - gently used and clean clothes, blankets, towels, linen and shoes & textiles
- Cardboard - clean and dry flattened cardboard, corrugated cardboard, boxes & tubes, egg cartons
- Vehicle batteries - please see on-site attendant
- BBQ - please remove all hoses, plastics & tank and put in mixed metal bin
- Mixed metal & tin - tin food cans, tin foil, pie plates, scrap metal, bbq’s (remove hoses, plastics & tank)
- Bicycles (currently closed) - Bicycles donated are free for the taking.
- Appliances (currently closed) - fees apply
- Expanded Polystyrene Styrofoam (currently closed) - packing foam, packing foam peanuts (must be bagged), foam serving ware, take out containers, meat trays, egg cartons. All foam must be clean of residue and free of tape/labels. No spray foam, textile, furniture or insulation foam. Film foam goes with plastic bags.
- Branches - Tree trimmings and branches go in the branches bin. Maximum branch/tree diameter is 15 cm and length is 1.5 metres and limited to 1/2 a level pick up truck load (standard 6 ft box)/user/week due to limited site capacity.
Pay-As-You-Throw Waste Disposal - for rural residents only
Dispose of extra bagged household waste and miscellaneous small waste items (broken lawn chairs, old garden hoses etc.) for a small fee of $3 per bag or $30 per truckload. Waste must be contained within a clear or semi-transparent bag to allow the Eco Centre attendant to determine if a bag contains recyclable or organic material. No recyclable or organic material will be accepted in PAYT. This program runs all year at the Eco Centre.
For more information on applicable costs, please go to Rate & Fees.
- Needles - Dispose of sharps safely at Cochrane pharmacy locations. Needles must be in a sealed, puncture proof container with a tight fitting lid.
- Mattress & boxspring - Calgary landfill otherwise re-matt.com recycles them
- Tires - return tires to your favorite Cochrane retailer or dealership for recycling
- Furniture - donate if possible, if not it goes to Calgary landfill
- Water Softener - goes to Calgary landfill
- Fitness Equipment - treadmills & other large pieces of fitness equipment go to Calgary Landfill
- Construction waste - fence, drywall, treated wood, cement, etc. goes to Calgary landfill
- Clean Fill - up to 10Kg’s of sod & soil can go in the green cart, more than that goes to Calgary landfill. Landfill rates will apply.
Yard Waste bin OPEN
Leaves, grass, non-invasive weeds and garden debris go in the yard waste bin. There are no bags allowed in this bin. If you come with bags, please dump the leaves and grass into the bin and either recycle or reuse your bags. The leaves and grass bin is not available for commercial firms, landscape or maintenance companies. Large amounts of clean fill (sod and soil) need to go to a Calgary landfill (April - November). Landfill rates will apply.
If curbside Christmas tree collection is missed or unavailable in your location, natural Christmas trees may go in the branches bin at the Eco Centre in December and January each year.
Last Updated: June 16, 2020