The Town of Cochrane provides utility services including water, sewer, Waste/Recycling/Organics collection, and Eco Centre operations. Electricity and natural gas services are available directly from energy generation and retail services affiliates. Visit Utilities Consumer Advocate to compare electricity and gas prices in your area, view historical rates, or get help resolving utility related issues.
Update your Utilities Account
How does the Town calculate sewer consumption?
- The Town of Cochrane tracks the volume of water delivered to your home and uses that number to calculate the water consumption amount on your utility invoice.
- Water meters are read near the end of the month. Utility bills are issued around the 7th of the month for the previous month.
- The Town uses water consumption to calculate sewer consumption.
For residential accounts that have account history:
- If you lived in your home from November to April, you have an account history.
- We calculate your average monthly water usage from November through April. This monthly average is then applied to your bill as sewer consumption for May through October. If your monthly water use is less than the average, the sewer consumption will be based on your actual water usage.
- This method of calculating sewer consumption is called winter averaging. It is used to ensure that residents do not pay sewer consumption for outdoor water use during the summer.
- If you use less than 5 cubic metres of water during a winter month, a value of 5 cubic metres will be used to calculate the average.
- From November through April, sewer consumption is billed at 100% of water consumption.
For residential accounts that do not have account history:
- Sewer consumption is billed at 100% of water consumption from November to April.
- Sewer consumption is billed at 80% of water consumption from May to October.
- View the sample utility bill online to see where the waste and recycling collection and Eco Centre fees appear.